Co-operative Business Consultants
At a time when governance and member participation is a key issue in the co-operative movement, Co-operatives UK, as a co-operative itself should lead by example.
Members should support Co-operatives UK to:
· Develop more of a culture and strategy for member engagement
· Recruit and retain more than 20% of co-operatives into membership (currently around 11% of the “6,000 co-ops”)
· Bench-mark its performance with its peers in other countries, such as Legacoop, Italy
· Have a governing document that allows one member one vote at General Meetings
· Prevent a single member organisation holding more than 20% of Board seats
· Have a transparent procurement policy and increase opportunities for member economic participation in Co-operatives UK
Co-operatives UK needs to become more of a campaigning organisation, as well as a trade association and develop effective mechanisms for individuals to take part in campaigning for co-operation, including consideration of individual membership of Co-operatives UK.