Co-operative Group members can find out more about Fairtrade this week by meeting with producers.
The member events are free and will provide an overview of how the Group is working with Fairtrade and how producers will talk about how the movement has made a difference for its communities. A free wine tasting session will also look at how wine is produced.
Daniela Cedrón, who comes from a family who have been growing grapes for La Riojana co-operative since its establishment in 1940, will be on tour this week. Thanks to the benefits of being a member of La Riojana, Daniela’s grandmother was able to build her house, and her mother was able to finish her studies. Her father also worked for the co-operative for several years.
Another person on the tour is Luisa Bordon, who is head teacher of Colegio Nacional Agrotecnico, a secondary school which is attended by children of La Riojana’s workers. The school was built with the Fairtrade premium and additional funding from the Group as part of its Beyond Fairtrade programme.
Events will take place at the following venues:
- Monday 3rd March, 18:30 – 21:00 The Forum, 28 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness, LA14 1HH.
- Monday 3rd March, 19:00-21:00 College Hall, Hereford Cathedral, 5 College Cloisters HR1 2NG
- Wednesday 5th March, 18:30-20:30 Liberty Stadium, Landore, Swansea, SA1 2FA
- Thursday 6th March, 19:00-21:00 Forth Valley College, Drip Road, Stirling, FK8 1SE
- Saturday 8th March, 17:00-19:00 Coin Street neighbourhood centre 108 Stamford Street South Bank, SE1 9NH
Contact: 0800 088 4862 or visit www.co-operative.coop/fairtrade to book.