During ICMIF’s recent Biennial Conference the Chief Executive of NTUC Income (Singapore), Mr Tan Suee Chieh, spoke on the topic of branding and described the new “Orange Revolution” that has just been launched within his organisation and which will continue until the end of 2015.
The “Orange Revolution” will focus on “doing things differently” to improve branding and to change the way the public view NTUC Income. To do this and to differentiate themselves as an organisation NTUC have come up with the concept of The (NTUC Income) House – with the concept that their business and philosophy is built on a foundation of excellence with pillars of “value” and “honest insurance”.
The four elements of NTUC’s “Honest Insurance” are –
- Insurance contracts made simple
- Fair and efficient claims settlements
- Policies that are in the customer’s interest
- Transparency throughout the organisation
Tan Suee Chieh told delegates any cooperative organisation is already different by virtue of “our cooperative DNA” and the fact that cooperatives put “People before Profits”. However, many studies have recently shown that whilst cooperatives are seen as being strong in terms of traditional values of stability, honesty and caring for customers they are not always viewed as being strong in new and more dynamic values such as being active, energetic and contemporary which are now essential attributes for cooperatives and mutuals to compete and succeed.
Tan Suee Chieh spoke about building brand awareness as well as brand meaning – what customers understand about your brand and what it stands for. To deliver the Orange Revolution Tan Suee Chieh says that this requires a change in everyone’s mindset to look at how to make a difference in the whole (insurance) industry rather than just within individual organisations. Suee Chieh says that NTUC “aims to become the most ethical insurer in Singapore, possibly the world”. However, to do this they must use new and different methods, some examples of this include:
- Orange Force – fleet of motorcycles which can arrive at a traffic accident within 20 minutes and can help with first aid, help fill out insurance forms and offer advice on the scene
- Orange Speak – Fair and easy to understand terminology in insurance policies
- Orange Settle – A quicker and fairer way of settling claims
- Orange First – Transformation of the distribution channel for selling policies
- Orange Prime – Creation of a new sales force
The Orange Revolution will take NTUC Income to the end of 2015 and Tan Suee Chieh told Conference delegates “I believe that we can change the world we see today, we have the power, as long as we have something new – and we have something new”.