Equal Exchange, the largest worker-owned coffee roasting facility in the United States, is looking for a Production Assistant to join our production team. The successful applicant will become a part of our production team which seeks to be a highly effective and flexible team working with the finest coffees in the world. The individual will be expected to learn and perform many of the tasks and activities associated with operating a coffee roasting facility. This position would be for our 2nd shift.
- Employment Status: Full Time, Worker-Owner Track Position
- Hours: 10am – 6:30pm (2nd Shift)
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Roasting and Production
- Reports to: Packaging Supervisor
- Must love coffee
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Must work well in a team environment
- Machine maintenance experience highly desirable
- Experience in food production environment a big plus
- Mechanical/Electrical reasoning skills highly desirable
- Basic math and conversion skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Attention to detail
- Fanatic about producing a quality product
- Ability to create and adapt systems
- Computer literate
- Ability to lift 75 lbs
- Push/pull 1400 lbs using supplied equipment
- Frequent bending, twisting required
- Applicant must be able to stand for the entire shift
- Operating and monitoring packaging equipment such as fillers, labelers and blending equipment
- Packing cases on packaging line
- Palletizing cases
- Coordinate with roasting team to pack out roasted product
- Periodic machine cleaning
- Preventative maintenance of facilities equipment
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by supervisor
- Conformance to production and administrative procedures
- Performing QC protocols as required by QC manager
- Continual learning for quality and process improvement
Personnel and Fair Trade Development (approx. 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, departmental and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Ian McMillan: [email protected].
Equal Exchange is a worker-owned co-operative and an equal opportunity employer.