The National Cooperative Development Act of 2011 will help create jobs and community development by supporting cooperative business development in underserved communities. It will:
- Provide loans and seed capital to groups who are attempting to form cooperatives;
- Award grants to nonprofit organizations, colleges, and universities so that they can provide technical assistance to operating cooperatives or groups that are attempting to form cooperatives;
- Provide guidance, information on best practices, and technical assistance to communities seeking to establish cooperatives;
- Provide funding for training of providers of technical assistance and supporting existing professional development training for organizations engaged in cooperative development; and
- Establish cooperative development centers in areas that currently do not have them.
- Dear Colleague Letter from Congressman Fattah
- The National Cooperative Development Act