Next month’s Ways Forward 5 Conference will be the fifth version of the event, exploring issues within the co-operative movement and welcoming shadow chancellor John McDonnell as a keynote speaker.
Based at Central Methodist Hall in Manchester, it will discuss and debate co-operative and radical alternatives to austerity and capitalism, and help shape vision of a prosperous, caring society based on a democratic economy.
The annual conference, organised by Co-operative Business Consultants (CBC) and held on 20 January 2017, is aimed at co-operators, trade unionists and activists from anti-austerity parties and social enterprises for shaping new progressive policies to combat the austerity agenda.
Speakers include shadow chancellor John McDonnell MP at a discussion on radical alternatives to austerity as well as:
- Ed Mayo, secretary general of Co-operatives UK
- Iain Macdonald, former director general of the ICA
- Cheryl Barrott, vice chair of the Co-operative Party
- Frances Coppola, finance and economics writer who often contributes to Co-operative News
- Cliff Mills from Anthony Collins
- Jenny Carlyle from SUMA
- Syed Maqsood from NWHS
- Dr Paul Redgrave from Co-Housing, Leeds
Debate topics include:
- Global alternatives to global capitalism
- Hierarchies and salary differentials: The enemies of co-operation?
- Local assistance for co-operative development
- Building with platform co-ops
- Edinburgh Student Housing Co-op: Green shoots
- A co-operative blueprint for elderly health and social care
- Community finance for co-op development
- Rojava: War zone co-operative economies
- Democratisation at the Co-op Group
There will also be a supper on the eve of the conference with Angela Rayner MP, shadow education secretary, at 6.30pm on 19 January at Manchester Central Hall.
Ways Forward 1 took place in 2014, and was “the first major opportunity for co-operators to voice how they felt about the crisis at the Bank and Group and how the co-operative movement should respond”, said Jo Bird of CBC, which is facilitating the event.
- Ways Forward 5 takes place on Friday 20 January 2017, from 9.30am-4.30pm at Central Hall, Oldham Street, Manchester M1 1JQ, and is sponsored by North West Housing Services, Anthony Collins Solicitors, Co-operative & Community Finance, The Midcounties Co-operative, The Co-operative College, The Phone Co-opand Co-operative Business Consultants.
- To book your place, contact Phil Frampton on 07901 338700 or email [email protected].
- A late booking fee of £15 is chargeable after 11 January.
In this article
- Anthony Collins Solicitors
- Central Methodist Hall
- co-op food
- Co-operative Business Consultants
- Co-operative Party
- Co-operatives UK
- Ed Mayo
- John McDonnell
- keynote speaker
- Manchester Central Hall
- Midcounties Co-operative
- Phil Frampton
- Secretary General
- shadow chancellor
- shadow education secretary
- The Co-operative
- United Kingdom
- Top Stories
Join the Conversation