Seventeen defibrillators have been installed at Central England’s branches across West Midlands – part of a plan to install hundreds of the life-saving devices across the co-operative’s trading area.
An estimated 100,000 people die from sudden cardiac arrest in the UK each year and, while CPR saves the lives of around nine per cent, the chance of survival is 50% if a defibrillator is also used.
Lyndon Road food store manager Richard Watts said: “We are delighted to have been such an integral part of ensuring this life-saving device has been installed at our store.
“If the defibrillator is ever needed, anyone can call 999 and the emergency operator will pass on a code that will open the locked case that the equipment is stored in.
Related … Central England Co-operative offers vital lifeline
“The device will then talk the person through how to use it – it is easy to use and any member of the community would be able to do so if needed.”
The society announced funding for hundreds of defibrillators, which will be installed over the next year by long-term partner Oak Electrical.
The business is working with ambulance services to identify the most suitable sites and, where possible, these will be in external locations for use at any time of day or night.
Chief executive Martyn Cheatle said: “Sudden cardiac arrest is one of the UK’s biggest killers and, after listening to the concerns of customers, members and partners, we want to help tackle the issue by getting more life-saving equipment into communities.
“As a responsible business we place a huge focus on making a positive contribution to the communities in which we trade; we are delighted to be able to build on our existing work with this new project which we are funding from the carrier bag levy.”
Every installation will include familiarisation sessions available to staff at society outlets, nearby business, local residents and community groups.
The devices have been installed in the following locations:
• Central England Co-operative, in Acocks Green
• Shirley Food Store, in Longmore Road, Solihull
• Shirley Funeralcare, in Stratford Road
• Co-operative Funeralcare, in Hobs Moat Road, Solihull
• Lyndon Road Food Store, in Solihull, Birmingham
• Warwick Road Funeralcare, in Solihull
• Yardley Wood Funeralcare, in Birmingham
• Minworth Funeralcare, in Kingsbury Road, Birmingham
• Hall Green Funeralcare, in Robin Hood Lane, Birmingham
• Yardley Funeralcare, in Coventry Road, Birmingham
• Castle Bromwich Funeralcare, in Chester Road, Birmingham
• Kitts Green Funeralcare, in East Meadway
• Kings Heath Food Store, in Vicarage Road, Birmingham
• Maypole Funeral, in Alcester Road South, Birmingham
• Kingstanding Food Store, in Kingstanding Road, Birmingham
• Sutton Coldfield Food Store, in Birmingham Road
• Sutton Coldfield Funeralcare, in Boldmere Road
Join the Conversation