On 2 July, co-ops around the world will celebrate the International Day of Co-operatives (IDC) – which this year will highlight the contribution of co-ops to achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The theme of the day – Co-operatives: The power to act for a sustainable future – fits into the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted in September 2015.
The slogan was chosen by the Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives (Copac), currently chaired by the International Co-operative Alliance.
It also aligns with the slogan for the International Summit of Cooperatives – Co-operatives: The power to act – which will be held in Quebec in October.
The 2030 Agenda contains a set of 17 SDGs, and says co-operatives have an important part to play in the implementation of these goals.
Co-operatives are similarly mentioned in the Financing for Development outcome document adopted in August 2015.
Copac, as organiser of the UN celebration of the day, is hosting a photo exhibition to show how co-operatives make important contributions to the implementation of the SDGs.
The exhibition, also called Co-operatives: The power to act for a sustainable future, will be on display from 4-20 July at the UN building in New York.
Copac wants people to submit photos for inclusion, which must show how co-operative enterprises and/or the act of co-operation contribute to the following themes:
- Eradicating poverty
- Ending hunger
- Securing livelihoods, offering decent work, and creating sustainable employment
- Improving gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls
- Improving food security and building a sustainable food system
- Fostering the development of rural communities and economic opportunities for smallholder producers
- Protecting the environment and combating climate change
- Engaging as partners with communities, policymakers, and UN agencies to achieve sustainable development
- Other themes expressed in the Sustainable Development Goals.
Individual co-operatives can also celebrate the IDC by educating their members about the SDGs and how the sector can achieve them. The Alliance will also encourage co-ops to set internal SDG targets, share their progress with the world and host events celebrating the day.
For the exhibition, Copac will select 8-10 photos from entrants. Successful applicants will be credited for use of their photo in the exhibition. The deadline for submitting photos is 31 March 2016.
- For guidelines and details of how to submit photos, click here.