This is the theme of the International Health Co-operatives Forum that will be held on Friday, October 12, at the Centre de congrès et d'expositions de Lévis, in Quebec. This forum is part of the complementary events, a must-see at the 2012 International Summit of Cooperatives, in Quebec City.
Who are the organizers?
- - Fédération des coopératives de services à domicile et de santé du Québec (FCSDSQ)
- - Health Care Co-operative Federation of Canada (HCCFC)
- - International Health Co-operative Organization (IHCO)
Why such a forum?
Health cooperatives throughout the world are evolving in various systems, which are usually comprised of the public and private sectors. The innovation of health cooperatives, from the wide range of ways they operate to the personalized services they provide to their members, encourages us to share our experiences. This international forum is a unique opportunity to understand the great variety of ways in which the co-operative model can satisfy needs in the health sector.
The following topics will be discussed:
- Innovative forms of health promotion and preventative care
- Creating a better synergy amongst health professionals
- The inclusion, within co-operatives, of pharmacies which emphasize wellness education rather than use of medications
- Democracy within the governance structure of the organizations
What are the program's main components?
Dr Rüdiger Krech, Director of the Department of Ethics and Social Determinants of Health at the World Health Organization (WHO), in Germany, will deliver the opening speech under the theme “The initiative of civil society and health prevention and promotion: the place of cooperatives in the health sector”.
Moreover, a group of experts will debate the 2 following topics:
- "To Share to Learn: For a Better World!"
- Speakers: Dr José Carlos Guisado del Toro, CEO of the Espriu Foundation and chair of the International Health Co-operative Organization (Spain), Dr Hino, HeW (Japan), Dr Eudes de Freitas Aquino, Unimed (Brasil) and Scott Aebischer, Health Partners (United States).
- "Our best achievements: For a Better World!"
- Speakers: Dr Così Giuseppe Milanese, Federazione Sanità confcooperative (Italy), Dr Ricardo Lopez, Federación Argentina de Entidades Solidarias de Salud (Argentina), William Janssens, Office des pharmacies coopératives de Belgique (Belgium) and Dr Jadgev Singh, KDM (Malaysia).
Following this is a conference under the theme “Cooperatives and the 21st century health challenges they face” coupled with 4 topical workshops:
- Promotion of the Preventive Practices in Health Co-operatives
- Stakes in Ageing of Population and Demographic Changes
- Citizen participation and members' commitment - "From consumer to co-worker"
- Health Co-operatives in the Improvement of First-Line Health Services
Finally, representatives from IHCO, the Health care co-operatives Federation of Canada and the Fédération des coopératives de services à domicile et de santé du Québec (FCSDSQ) will deliver the closing speech under the theme "To build a Better World".
Download the preliminary program (PDF, 272 KB) - bilingual version
Information and registration:
Gabrielle Bourgault Brunelle
+1 418-837-7577, ext. 230
+1 800 456-5317, ext. 230