As part of the 2012 International Summit of Cooperatives, funeral cooperatives, mutual enterprises and democratic organizations the world over working in the funeral sector are invited to a first international meeting.
It will in fact be the first time that all cooperators, mutualists and persons voluntarily offering funeral services for families affected by the loss of a loved one will be gathering to discuss the major issues associated with death and bereavement.
This meeting is organized by the Federation of Funeral Cooperatives of Quebec and will be held in Quebec City from October 4 to 8, 2012.
Objectives of this first international meeting:
- Discover the importance of cooperatives and mutual associations in the funeral sector all across the planet.
- Compile a profile of the different issues affecting the funeral sector and the options offered by the cooperative and mutualist movement to respond to them.
- Establish a worldwide network of funeral cooperatives and mutual enterprises so that this industry can be given a voice.
- Obtain recognition by governments, agencies and cooperative associations of the place and importance of funeral cooperatives and mutuals.
- Share tools for marketing, recruitment, training, education, financing and democratic management.
- Allow for productive interchange among global leaders in the funeral cooperative and mutualist world.
- Provide participants with a showcase for presenting and promoting their organization.
- Facilitate networking between different cooperatives and mutual associations working in the same industry.
- Presidents, chief executive officers, members of boards of directors and employees of cooperatives, mutual enterprises and non-profit organizations working in the funeral sector all over the world
- Academics and researchers interested in the cooperative movement and the funeral sector
- Representatives of other cooperative sectors interested in the development of the funeral sector
- Representatives of national and international media
- Representatives of various Canadian suppliers offering goods and services in the funeral sector
- World-famous speakers talking about subjects of importance to cooperatives and mutuals
- A portrait of the cooperatives and mutual enterprises working in the funeral sector around the world
- Panels, workshops and plenary sessions addressing issues and challenges
- Exhibitors presenting goods and services in the funeral and cooperative sector
Thursday, October 4 – tour of the Estrie area
- Coopérative funéraire de l'Estrie
- Université de Sherbrooke
- 2 student cooperatives
- Magog Caskets
Friday, October 5 – tour of the Drummondville area
- Coopérative funéraire J.N. Donais
- Coopérative funéraire Maska in St-Hyacinthe
- COMAX agricultural cooperative
- Presentation of the Quebec cooperative movement
Saturday, October 6 – tour of the Saguenay area
- Coopérative funéraire de Chicoutimi
- St-François-Xavier cemetery
- Coopérative funéraire du Saguenay
- Coopérative funéraire du Fjord
- Presentation of La Symphonie training program
Sunday, October 7 – opening of the International Summit of Funeral Cooperatives and various presentations
- Unpublished study on the importance of funeral cooperatives and mutuals in the world
- Colombian network of funeral cooperatives and mutuals (to be confirmed)
- United States network of memorial societies (MS) and funeral cooperatives
- Canadian funeral cooperatives network
- Panel : Cooperative training and education: an advantage or a burden for funeral cooperatives and mutuals
- Lecture: “There will be a tribute to the deceased.” And then?
- Coopérative funéraire des Deux Rives
Monday, October 8
- Conference: “The importance of inter-cooperation for development”
- Panel: Inter-cooperation among funeral cooperatives: is it working?
- Tabling and adoption of a common declaration
Register now to keep abreast of the latest news on this major event in the cooperative world.
Source: Website of the Federation of Funeral Cooperatives of Quebec
The Federation of Funeral Cooperatives of Québec is the umbrella structure for all the funeral cooperatives in Québec. Founded in 1987, the Federation currently has 23 member cooperatives all across Québec. These 23 cooperatives today handle over 90% of the deaths managed by all the funeral cooperatives of Québec. Its head office is located in Sherbrooke.